Carnegie Mellon University

In fall 2016, Computing Services began a multi-phased project to retire the Cyrus email service as part of an effort to provide modern, industry standard, cost-effective email and calendar solutions.

The email and calendar services offered to campus have undergone a number of changes over the past several years. Many administrative departments have transitioned to Exchange providing an integrated solution with mobile support and advanced scheduling functionality; and in 2013, G Suite @ CMU became the default email service for undergraduate students. The decision to retire the Cyrus service aligns with the strategy to provide modern solutions that meet the needs and use patterns of our community.

Phase 1

The initial phase began with new Andrew accounts receiving either Exchange or G Suite @ CMU instead of Cyrus depending on affiliation and department policy. 

Phase 2

The second phase focuses on migrating individual Cyrus mailboxes to one of the supported solutions (Exchange or G Suite @ CMU). Direct email to Andrew account holders still using Cyrus began March 28, 2017. This message directed recipients to the Mail Migration page to enroll in mailbox migration depending on preference and department policy. Currently, 85% of the campus community is using one of these email solutions. Our goal is to transition the remaining 15% of Cyrus mailboxes by the end of 2017. 

Note: This phase applies to Cyrus mailbox holders including those who forward their official Carnegie Mellon email (@andrew.cmu.edu) to a personal email account. Cyrus Bboards and shared mailboxes are not affected by this change. These mailboxes will be addressed during a future phase of this project.

Important Dates 

  • Students with Cyrus mailboxes who do not schedule a migration by October 2 will be enrolled to migrate to G Suite @ CMU.
  • Faculty and staff with Cyrus mailboxes who do not schedule a migration by November 6 will be enrolled to migrate to Exchange.

FAQ

We are focusing resources to provide modern, industry standard, cost-effective email to the CMU community.
Staff and faculty will receive Microsoft Exchange and students will receive G Suite @ CMU by default.
Follow the steps on the Mail Migration page to get started.
Use the RSS Feed Web Service to read bboard posts and your email client to post.
Migrating your personal Cyrus account will not affect bboards or departmental accounts/mailboxes (shared mailboxes). These types of accounts will be addressed on an individual basis in a later phase of the project.