Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Java Runtime Environment (JRE26) Updates for WindowsIn order to maintain a secure computing environment, the Desktop Support Program is deploying Java Runtime Environment (JRE 1.6 Update 26) to Windows computers beginning today, Tuesday, August 2. The deadline to install the update is August 10, 2011. For detailed instructions, please see http://www.cmu.edu/computing/repair/dsp/doc/jre26.pdf.
- Beginning today, you should receive a pop-up notification near the clock on your computer informing you that a new program is available. To run this program, please click on this pop-up or the icon. For further instructions, please see http://www.cmu.edu/computing/repair/dsp/doc/jre26.pdf.
- This update will require you to close any open Web browsers, and could affect other open programs on your computer. Please save any work and exit your Web browser prior to running the upgrade. You will be free to re-open your Web browser once the upgrade has finished, and no reboot is required.
- Since this update could interrupt your work, you will be able to install the update at a time of your choosing anytime between 8:30 a.m., Tuesday, August 2 until 1:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 10.
- Beginning at 1:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 10, your computer will automatically run the update process if you have not previously done so. You will see a five-minute warning message before the installation process begins.
- Should your computer be turned off at the time of the deadline, the upgrade will install as soon as possible when the computer is powered back on.
Questions, concerns, and comments can be directed to Desktop Support at (412) 268-6959, or email@example.com.