Java Update Steps
Current Java is critical to maintaining a secure computing environment. Vulnerabilities in the Java program are frequent targets of malware while patched Java protects against compromises.
Follow these steps to run the Java Update:
- You will be notified that the Java update is available via a pop-up balloon that appears in your system tray.
- Before you run the update, be sure to do the following:
- CLOSE any open Web browsers (e.g., Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox).
- EXIT any Java applications that may be running (e.g., Oracle Financials, Taleo).
- Click the Java update pop-up balloon that appeared in Step 1.
- Click Oracle JRE 1.6.0_41... to select it, and then click Run. The update process begins. Through the update process, various messages appear that require no response.
Note: If a "Success" message appears, the JRE41 update is already installed on your computer. The following steps will NOT appear. You are done. Proceed to the Verify Java Update section below.
- If you failed to close any open browsers or Java related programs (see Step 2 above), you will be prompted to close those programs; click Close Programs and Continue.
Note: You will receive a subsequent message to "Save your work and data!" before closing your program. Click OK.
- As the older version of JRE is uninstalled and JRE41 is installed various messages appear that require no response.
- Once the update is complete, a message similar to the following appears. Click OK.
- An "Upgrade Complete" message appears. Click OK.
Verify Java Update (Optional)
To assure that the Java update has been successfully installed, follow these steps:
- Visit the Carnegie Mellon ISO Patch Check web page.
- Click Check Now.
- The installed version of JRE should appear as Java 22.214.171.124.
Last Updated: 2/20/13