Frequently Asked Questions - Co-location
Can any university department co-locate?
Yes, any Carnegie Mellon department can co-locate its computer equipment in our data center through this service.
What is the department's responsibility when they wish to co-locate?
Departments using the co-location service are asked to provide a primary and secondary point of contact for equipment-related issues. The department will be responsible for system administration and all software management and end-user support.
In addition, co-location participants are responsible for:
- Notifying Hardware Services (email@example.com) of equipment changes at least a week in advance in order to allow for proper scheduling. This includes new installations, refresh of existing hardware and decommissions. New installations require a review process and management approval, which can take up to 7 business days.
- Notifying Hardware Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) of personnel changes as needed for data center access on a regular basis, at a minimum of once per quarter.
- Following all posted data center regulations.
- System administration and end-user support.
- Promptly notifying Hardware Services (email@example.com) if they encounter any unusual issues in the data center so that they can be addressed quickly.
How can departments access server consoles?
We suggest that customers install remote access software on their systems. However, departmental personnel can directly access their server constoles using our keyboard-video-mouse infrastructure or a crash cart.
What are the limits on network bandwidth?
Network usage for co-location customers is subject to acceptable practices as outlined in the Wired/Wireless Network Bandwidth Usage Guideline.
Can departmental personnel do their own hardware support?
In order to safeguard personnel and equipment, all hardware changes--installations, relocations and removals--will be performed by Computing Services technicians. However, access can be arranged for an individual department's third-party hardware repair provider during normal business hours.
What types of hardware are supported?
Any brand of equipment that can be rack mounted can be co-located. Hardware Services is available to assist you with equipment configuration for new equipment purchases to ensure compatibility with our power infrastructure and existing rack space dimensions.
What is the cost of the co-location service?