Virtual Private Networking
Virtual Private Network (VPN) creates a secure connection, called a tunnel, between your computer and the server. This tunnel allows secure communications and the ability to extend local network access to offsite locations.
Cisco AnyConnect VPN is the VPN client available for connecting to Carnegie Mellon resources off-site. You will need a VPN connection for the following:
- If you are off-site and need to access a service that is restricted by IP address (e.g., restricted Library services, databases or campus printers).
- If you are using an application that does not provide secure transfer of data from an off-campus location.
- If you are using a wireless connection on campus and you're sending information that should be secured with an encrypted connection.
- If you are accessing a service which exists only on a restricted subnet.
IMPORTANT: VPN does not eliminate the need for an Internet Service Provider (ISP). You must have a valid internet connection before you can connect to the VPN server.
Students, faculty and staff
- Download Cisco AnyConnect VPN
- For VPN access to restricted services, Contact your System Administrator or the Computing Services Help Center.