Step 1: Update Your Operating System
(Secure 1 of 4)
Note: You may need to restart your computer as part of this step. Bookmark this page so you can easily return to this point.
1. Configure Microsoft Update
- Select Start > Control Panel (Windows 7) or right-click Start > Control Panel (Windows 8).
- View by to small icons.
- Click Windows Update.
- Look for You receive updates and do one of the following:
- If For Windows only is selected, click Find out more. Follow the onscreen instructions to install Microsoft Update and then continue to step 2. Run Microsoft Update.
- If For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update is selected, continue to step 2. Run Microsoft Update .
2. Run Microsoft Update
- Click Check for updates.
- Do one of the following:
- If no updates are found, continue with step 4.
- If updates are needed, click Install updates. The program will hang for a few moments as the updates are installed. If prompted, restart your computer.
- Repeat steps 1-2 until no updates are found.
- Click Change Settings.
- Ensure Install updates automatically and Install new updates every day is selected.
- Click OK and then close the Windows Update window.