Step 1: Update Your Operating System
(Secure 1 of 4)
Note: You may need to restart your computer as part of this step. Bookmark this page so you can easily return to this point.
- From the Apple menu or Dock select System Preferences > Software Update.
- If necessary, click the lock icon to make changes. Enter an Administrator username and password when prompted. This is the Administrator account for your computer.
- Click Scheduled Check.
- Ensure the following options are "checked" the following:
- Check for updates Daily.
- Download updates automatically.
- Automatically update system support files (Mac OS X 10.8).
- Click Check Now to manually update your OS now.
- If a list of updates appears, ensure each update is checked and then click Install.
Note: You may be prompted to enter an Administrator username and password. This is Administrator account for the computer you are using.
- Software Update will download and install any updates. Depending on the number of updates, it may take a long time.
- If prompted:
- Click Agree for software license agreements.
- Restart your Mac.
- Run Software Update (Apple menu > Software Update) until you see "Your software is up to date." From this point forward, Apple Software Update will run daily.