Note: Pine was discontinued and replaced with a Pine-based product called Alpine. Running the "pine" command will launch Alpine.
For assistance with using Pine, type ? to view on-line help for each screen.
Pine has one window and multiple screens. All actions take place there. The Main Menu of commands is displayed on the screen that displays when you first launch Pine. Follow these steps to use any of the Main Menu commands.
- Type the command letter. You do not need to press Enter.
- To return to the main menu from another screen, press M.
In Pine, toolbars are located at the bottom of each screen. Follow these steps to use any of the toolbar commands.
- Type the command letter to perform the command. If the command is preceded by the "^"character, press Ctrl- and the command letter at the same time.
- To get help on any screen, press ?
Follow these steps to read new mail.
- At the Main Menu, press I for Index. A list of your messages appears.
Note: Either the last message received or the first new message received is highlighted. New messages are marked with an "N".
- To select the message you want to read, highlight it. To move up the message list, use the following navigation commands or use the up and down arrow keys.
- Press Enter . The selected message is displayed on your screen.
N - Reads the next message
P - Reads the previous message
I - Enters to the folder index screen
M - Enters to the main menu
Follow these steps to save a message to a folder.
- Press S at the Message Index screen.
You are asked if you want to save the message to your <Personal> Saved Messages folder or to another folder.
- Press Enter to save the message to the Saved Messages folder.
Note: If you want to save the message to a different folder, type the name of the folder you want to save the message to, then press Enter. If you want to see a list of your folders press Ctrl-T.
- The message is saved to the specified folder. If the message was in one of your personal folders, it is marked for deletion. If the message was from a bulletin board, it is copied to the new folder.
Deleting or Undeleting Messages
To delete a message, you need to mark the message for deletion and then expunge the marked message to permanently remove it.
Follow these steps to mark a message for deletion.
- From the Message Index screen, press D with the message you want to delete selected.
The letter "D" appears next to the message caption. This indicates that the message is marked for deletion.
If you change your mind and do not wish to expunge a marked message, you must remove the delete indicator BEFORE expunging your messages. To undelete a message, follow these steps.
- From the Folder Index screen, select the caption of the message you want to undelete.
- With the message selected, press U.
The "D" mark disappears and the message will not be removed when messages are expunged.
Follow these steps to permanently remove or expunge messages that are marked for deletion.
- Press X to permanently delete or expunge the message .
You are asked to confirm that you want to expunge the marked message.
- Press Y to expunge the marked messages, or press N to cancel.
Pressing Y expunges all messages that have been marked for deletion. A message appears telling you that the messages have been successfully expunged. Once a message has been expunged it is permanently removed.
Composing a Message
Follow these steps to compose a new message.
- From the Main Menu, press C to invoke the Compose Message screen.
The Compose Message screen appears and your cursor is positioned in the To field.
- In the To field, type the address you want to send the mail to. Press Enter to navigate to the Cc field.
Note: You may also use the up or down arrow keys to navigate through the fields.
- If you want to send a copy of the message to someone, type their address in the Cc field and press Enter . Otherwise, simply press Enter to move to the Attachment field.
- If you want to include an attachment, type the file name of the attachment here and press Enter. Otherwise, press Enter to move to the Subject field.
Note: The file you want to attach must reside on the machine on which you are running Pine.
- Type the subject of the message and press Enter to move to the message text field. To send a message without a subject heading, press Enter.
- Type your message text. If necessary, use the commands in the menu bar to edit your text. For help with the editing commands, press Ctrl-G.
Sending a Message
Follow these steps to send a composed message.
- With the message displayed on your screen, press Ctrl-X
A prompt appears asking if you want to send the message.
- Press Y, or press Enter to send the message. Press Ctrl-C or press N to cancel sending.
Replying to a Message
Follow these steps to reply to a message.
- From the Message Index screen, select a message to display it.
- Press R to reply to the message.
A prompt appears asking if you want to include a copy of the message you are replying to.
- Press Y to include the message, otherwise press N.
Note: If the message you are replying to includes a reply-to address, you are asked if you want to use the Reply-To: address instead of the From: address. Press N, to send the reply to the From address. Press Y to reply to the Reply- To: address.
- If the message was sent to more than one person, you are asked if you want to reply to all recipients.
- Press Y to reply to all recipients and to the sender of the message. Press N to reply only to the sender of the message.
A Compose Message REPLY screen appears and your cursor is positioned in the message text field.
- Type and send your message.
Forwarding a Message
Follow these steps to forward a message.
- From the MESSAGE INDEX screen, select the message and type F.
The message appears in a Forward Message screen with the Subject: Forwarded mail...
- Add any new information that you want.
- Send the message.
Reading Mail in Public and Personal Folders
Follow these steps to read the messages in public folders and personal folders.
- Press L from the Main Menu.
- Select the bboards folder collection and press Enter.
The list of bboards you are subscribed to appears.
- Select the bboard you want to read and press Enter.
The folder index for that bboard appears.
- Select the message you want to read and press Enter or I to display that message.
- To return to the folder index screen, press I.
- To return to the list of bboards, press L.
Follow these steps to quit the Pine program.
- Press Q. You are asked if you really want to quit Pine.
- Press Y or press Enter to quit. This exits Pine.