Using SSH to Connect
Note: Pine was discontinued and replaced with a Pine-based product called Alpine. Running the "pine" command will launch Alpine.
To use Pine on a Windows or Mac computer, you need a telnet client. Depending on your operating system, follow the appropriate steps below:
Using Pine on Windows via SSH
Follow these steps to use Pine via an SSH session:
- Download Tectia Client from the software page.
- Launch Tectia.
- Select File > Connect and type unix.andrew.cmu.edu in the Host Name field of the “Connect to the Remote Host” dialog box.
- In the User Name field, enter your Andrew ID and click Connect. You are prompted for your Andrew password.
Using Pine on Mac via Terminal
Follow these steps to use Pine via a Terminal session:
- Launch SSH Secure Shell.
- Select Go >Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
- In the Terminal session window, enter ssh firstname.lastname@example.org (where userid is your Andrew ID), and then enter your password.
- Type pine and press Enter to access the Pine mail client interface.
Last Updated: 8/28/13