Follow the steps below to archive email messages to a text archive using Pine.
Note: This process does not save MIME attachments, only the text of the message is saved.
- Turn on the Aggregate command set.
- From the Main menu, type S (setup) then C (config).
- Scroll down the list to the section entitled Advanced Command Preferences.
- Select enable-aggregate-command set and press Enter to "check" the option.
- Type E (exit setup), then Y (yes to save/commit changes).
- Select the messages you want to archive.
- Open the folder that contains the messages to be archived.
- Type ; (semi-colon). The SELECT Criteria prompt displays at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose the selection criteria you want (options include all, by message number, status, date or text).
- Follow the instructions displayed at the bottom of the screen for the selection criteria you selected.
- Create the archive.
- Type A (apply) to apply some set of commands to your selected messages. The APPLY command prompt displays at the bottom of the screen.
- Type E (export) and type a name for your archive file. This file will be stored in your Home directory.
- Repeat steps 1 through 3 for each mail folder you want to archive.
Note: If you want to store messages from multiple folders into the same file, then use the same file name when prompted. Because the file name already exists, you will be asked to Overwrite or Append the original file. Choose append to add the additional messages to the file.
- You can now ftp the saved file(s) from your Andrew account to another computer.
Last Updated: 2/21/12