Addressing, Import/Export Contacts
Information included here will step you through the process of addressing messages and exporting or importing contacts.
Address and Send Messages
- Select File > New > Email Message.
- Begin typing the recipient's email or name into the To: or Cc: field. Outlook displays suggestions from the CMU directory, if added, your personal address book and previously typed email addresses.
- Select the email address/name from the list.
Note: You can also use Outlook's Check Names option. Type the recipient's name in the To: or Cc: field and then click Check Names.
- Type your message and click Send. All sent message are saved to the Sent Items folder.
Follow these steps to export your address book contacts:
- Select Contacts and then select File > Export.
- An Export dialog box appears. Select the radio button to export Contacts to a list (tab-delimited text), and then click the right arrow to continue.
- A Save dialog box appears. Enter a name for the file and choose where you want to store the file, and then click Save.
- Your contacts are saved to a .txt file.
Follow these steps to import your address book contacts:
- Select File > Import.
- An Import dialog box appears. Select Contacts or messages from a text file, and then click the right arrow to continue.
- The "Choose a File Type" dialog box appears, select Import contacts from a tab- or comma- delimited text file, and click the right arrow to continue.
- Browse to the .txt file that you exported and click Import.
- A dialog box for mapping fields appears. Do one of the following:
- If you are importing from an Outlook email client, your fields should be mapped correctly automatically; click Import.
- If you are importing from another email client, verify that your fields are mapped correctly, and then click Import.
- Your contacts are imported into your Address book.
Last Updated: 2/21/12