Create a CMUname
IMPORTANT! Once you've selected a CMUname, it's impossible to change it. Think very carefully before selecting a name that could be ambiguous or that you won't want for the duration of your association with Carnegie Mellon University. Computing Services also reserves the right to remove inappropriate or misrepresentative CMUname selections.
To create a CMUname, do the following:
- Visit the Carnegie Mellon Web Portal.
Note:If you're not already authenticated, you'll be prompted for your Andrew ID and password at the WebISO login page.
- Select the COMPUTING tab.
- Select Manage Email and then addresses/forwarding.
- Next to the dialog box, "Would you like to create a CMU address?" enter the CMUname that you have chosen.
Note: The "Would you like to create a CMU address?" dialog box only appears if you do not already have a CMU address. Otherwise, your CMUname and Andrew accounts will be listed on the "Forward Email" link and you will have the option of changing the forwarding addresses for each.
- Click Verify. One of the following appears:
- If you selected a CMUname that is NOT available, you will be prompted to select again.
- If you selected a CMUname that is available, you can click Submit to create the CMUname.
Remember, once you've selected a CMUname, it's impossible to change it, so choose carefully. What might seem like a good choice now might not be the best choice later when you're corresponding with potential employers.
Setting Your Return Address To Match
If you are using the Cyrus system, you should set your return e-mail address within the preferences of your mail client. See the help files in your mail client for detailed instructions for setting the "return" or "reply-to" address.
Last Updated: 5/21/09