Use the following sections to help you transfer files from and/or to a remote server or computer.
Transfer Files from the Remote Server/Computer
Follow these steps to transfer files from the remote server to your local machine.
- From the Transfer window, select the file(s) or folder that you want to transfer to your local machine and click Get.
- As the file is being transferred to your desktop, the transfer progress is displayed in the window. Continue to transfer files or select Fetch > Quit Fetch to close the connection and exit the program.
Note: To change the download location, select Fetch > Prefences. Choose Download and select the location from the Save download files to drop-down menu.
Transfer Files to the Remote Computer/Server
Follow these instructions to transfer files to the host computer/server from your local machine.
- Once you are connected to the host computer/server, navigate to the destination folder.
- Click Put on the Transfer window.
- The "Choose a File" dialog box is displayed. Select the file or folder that you want to transfer and click Put.
- The selected file is transferred. Continue to select and transfer files or select Fetch > Quit Fetch to close the connection and exit the program.
Transfer Files from Another User's AFS Space
To transfer files from another user's home directory (AFS space) on unix.andrew.cmu.edu:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter the path to the person's home directory /afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr/AndrewID.
- Follow the Transfer Files from the Remote Server/Computer steps above.
Note: By default, the public folder is readable by all Andrew users. Use this folder when sharing files. Other folders may be accessible. Each user sets access rights for his AFS space. For more information on access rights, see the Access Rights documentation.
Last Updated: 2/7/12