Connect to a Remote Server
Follow these instructions to connect to a remote server.
- Launch the Fetch program. The New Connection window is displayed.
Note: If the window does not appear automatically, select File > New Connection.
- Complete the New Connection dialog box fields as indicated below.
- In the Hostname field, enter the computer or server name that you want to connect to (e.g., unix.andrew.cmu.edu or publishing.andrew.cmu.edu).
- Type your Andrew User ID in the Username field.
- Select SFTP from the Connect using drop-down list.
Note: Once SFTP is selected as the security type, the "Enable encryption" checkbox is activated. By selecting SFTP, you are ensuring that your session is secure.
- Type your Andrew password in the Password field.
- Click Connect.
- The following warning message may display the first time you authenticate to the host server. If you receive this warning, click Connect to accept the key and continue connecting.
- The File Transfer window displays.
When connected to your AFS space at unix.andrew.cmu.edu
, you can transfer files to and from your home directory and your computer.
Last Updated: 2/20/09