This document is not supported by Computing Services. Please do not contact the Help Center with questions on this document.
Andrew Printing from Linux
These steps will walk you through the process of installing the centralized printer queue and driver that will work for ALL public printers. By selecting the andrew print queue, your print job will be sent to a central queue that is accessible by ALL public cluster and library printers on campus. You can release, print and delete your print job from ANY campus release station. For more information on printing, see the Andrew Printing documentation.
Note: These steps have been tested on a machine using Ubuntu 8.04 with GNOME. Ubuntu is a community developed, Linux-based operating system. GNOME is a desktop for your GNU/Linux or UNIX computer.
- Select System > Administration > Printing
- Select New Printer. It may take some time to search.
- Go to LPD/LPR Host or Printer.
- Enter the following:
- Host: UserID@printing.andrew.cmu.edu
Where UserID is your Andrew UserID (e.g., email@example.com).
- Queue: andrew
- Select forward. It will search for drivers and not succeed.
- Select "HP Laserjet 4100 PostScript" as the driver.
- Name the printer "Andrew Central B&W".
- Check the box that enables duplexing.
--Thank you to Nipunn Koorapati for his contribution to this document.
Last Update: 9/16/08