Using X-Win 32
X-Win32 is X terminal application software for Windows. X-Win32 allows Windows users to connect to Linux/Unix servers on a network and run the applications from those servers on their Windows desktop. Users can copy and paste data between the X and Windows applications. The program allows individuals to use graphics-based applications with a mouse rather than doing only command line work.
Note: X-Win 32 is not available for Macintosh computers.
- Download X-Win 32 from the Computing Services licensed software pages.
- Unzip the file into the desired folder.
Note: Remember where you placed these files; you will need to access these when configuring a connection for the first time on a computer.
- Double-click the executable file to begin the installation wizard.
- From a Windows computer, select Start > All Programs > X-Win 32 > X-Config.
- In the My Connections window, click Wizard to start the Connection Wizard.
- In the Name field, give your connection a nickname (i.e. "Linux timeshares").
- Select ssh as the Type.
- Click Next.
- In the Host field, type linux.andrew.cmu.edu.
- Click Next.
- Log in with your Andrew userID and password.
- Click Next.
- In the Command window, select Linux.
- Click Finish.
- You will now see the newly-created connection in the My Connections list.
- Select Start > All Programs > X-Win 32 > X-Win 32.
- If this is the first time you are accessing X-Win 32 on your computer, the License Activation window will appear.
- Navigate to the folder where you unzipped the downloaded X-Win 32 files. Locate the file named VN.txt.
- Paste the activation number from the VN.txt file into the License Activation window.
- Click OK.
- You may need to re-open X-Win 32 to continue.
- From the X-Win32 Configuration screen, select the connection you previously set up from the My Connections list.
- Click Launch.
Note: You may be prompted to accept a host key. Click Accept to continue.
- If your connection is successful, a terminal window will open and a UNIX prompt will display ([YourAndrewuserID@unix12 ~]$).
- To access a software package, type the name of the software followed by a space and &. It may take a few moments for the chosen software to load.
- To end your session, close any software you have opened. In the terminal window, type exit.
Updating X-Win 32
When updating to a new version of X-Win32 you must delete the older version's license key to apply tne new license key.
To remove the older license key:
- Close all X-Win32 sessions.
- Locate the license.lic file and delete it (usually located at C:\Users\LOGIN-ID\AppData\Local\StarNet Communications\X-Win32).
- Relaunch X-Win32. The application will prompt for the activation key.
- Enter the new license key that was included in the download (VN.txt).
Additional instructions included in a Microsoft Word file (in the compressed file you download).