You can access a remote Linux session from any Windows or Apple computer using the steps below.
The software that is available in a Linux computer lab is available through the Linux timeshares.
Access Linux Timeshares
- Use SSH Tectia - Terminal.
- Click Quick Connect.
- Enter the following:
Host Name: linux.andrew.cmu.edu
User Name: your Andrew userID
- Click Connect.
Note: If prompted about connection keys, select an option and click OK.
- Enter your Andrew password and Enter.
- Click the Disconnect icon and Yes to end your session.
Note: Install X-Win 32 for more flexibility.
- Open Terminal.
- Type ssh -X userID@linux.andrew.cmu.edu ("userID" is your Andrew userID) and press Return.
- If prompted with the message "The authenticity of host 'linux.andrew.cmu.edu' can't be established. Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?" Type yes and press Return.
- Enter your Andrew password and press Return.
- Use UNIX commands to navigate and access the software.
- Type exit to end your session.
Using UNIX Commands
See the UNIX Commands page for more information.