Reservation and Software Guidelines
Faculty or staff can reserve a cluster for an academic or professional development class. Carnegie Mellon students can also reserve clusters during available times for community service projects. Other groups may be charged for cluster reservations (see below for details). Note that only Carnegie Mellon affiliates may reserve a cluster.
- Reservations must be made every semester and may not be made more than one semester ahead of time.
- All reservations are given on a first-come first-served basis for each level of population served. (See below for population served.)
- External groups with no affiliation to Carnegie Mellon are not permitted to use/rent cluster space at any time.
Note: No reservation can be accepted after the Wednesday prior to the week of the reservation date.
Population Served (in order of priority)
- All credit-bearing classes with a course number from the registrar may reserve a cluster free of charge. These reservations are given the highest priority.
- Internal users include anyone using the cluster for departmental professional development training. No fee is charged for these users.
- Student Organizations may schedule time for Community Service Projects on Saturday and Sunday morning, Friday evening, or during academic breaks (i.e. mid-semester, spring break, Thanksgiving). A governing member of the organization must make the reservation(s) and will be held responsible for the facility. No fee is charged.
- Other groups with Carnegie Mellon affiliations may reserve a cluster for community service, university education or recruiting at no cost. If you think your group qualifies, please contact us at email@example.com.
- All other groups with Carnegie Mellon affiliation may reserve cluster space for the purpose of conferences or training sessions for non-Carnegie Mellon-affiliated attendees. The affiliate must make these reservations and will be responsible for the facility. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- When making your reservation request at the Cluster Reservation System, be sure to include all software that you expect to use so we can place you in a Cluster that meets your needs.
- Software requests for Clusters, whether for reservations or student use outside of class, are due at the reservation deadline for that semester. In order to be installed by the first day of the semester, software and all supporting information must be received no later than July 1 for the fall semester, November 15 for the spring semester, and April 15 for any summer session. Additional information is available at the Cluster Software Guidelines page.
A reservation that is no longer needed should be canceled as soon as possible, but at least 48 hours in advance. If a reservation is not kept and was not cancelled at least 48 hours in advance, a $50 cancellation fee may be assessed to the faculty member's department. If the reservation also required a special software installation, the fee assessed may be up to $50 (to cover the software installation costs).