Andrew Printing FAQ
- What is the print quota per semester and how do I check my balance?
- Can I get a refund for a jammed or cancelled print job?
How to Print
Where to Print/Printer Status
- In what buildings are Andrew Printers located?
- Where should I print high-volume or special (glossy paper, color) print jobs?
- How can I tell if a specific Andrew printer is busy?
- I sent a job to the printer, but it doesn't appear in the print queue.
- I sent a job to the printer, but I cannot select it from the release station.
- I released my job from the print station but the document didn't print.
- The print release station returns a parse or SOAP xml error.
- I'm having problems printing a PDF file with graphics.
- On my Mac, the popup client does not appear (uninstall/reinstall popup)
- Pharos installation fails on my Windows 8.1 computer.
A. Detailed information on print quotas and how they are managed can be found on the Print Quota page.
A: No refunds will be issued for jammed, defective or cancelled print jobs. Visit the Print Print Quota for additional information.
A. You can configure your personal computer to print to the Andrew public printers; see the How to Print page for help.
A. A list of Andrew Printer locations is available on the Printer Locations page.
A. High brightness coated paper is available for the color laser printer in CFA between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on weekdays. If you are using a manual feed to print in CFA, ask the CCon for help. CCons will make sure your document is printed on the correct paper. If you are printing large jobs, there are four multi-printer sites: Baker Hall 140 Corridor, Hunt Reference Area, E&S Library, and Wean 5200.
A. To determine the status of an Andrew Printer in real time, visit the Printer Status page.
A. It can take up to two minutes for your job to appear. You should also check your local computer to be sure that the print job was actually sent. Also, verify that you sent the job to one of the Andrew Print stations and NOT to one of the Heinz College or The Tepper School's printers.
A. Remember that it can take up to two minutes for your job to appear. Confirm that there are no physical issues with the release station (e.g., worn screen, unable to select print). If nothing is evident and you still can't select your job, please report the problem to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A. Be sure that the printer is not jammed by checking the LCD window. You can also verify that the printer has network connectivity by viewing the Printer Status web page. Lastly, it may be a problem with the specific print job. Try again from the same computer, a different computer or a different cluster. If the job still fails to print, email email@example.com.
A. Release stations do not translate Unicode text which causes the SOAP error(s). Contact the Help Center or the ccon on duty and have them remove the problem job from the print queue. Re-save the document under another name and resubmit the document to the printer.
A. Open the PDF and select File > Print. Select the printer and then select Advanced. Select Print as Image.
A. Check to make sure you have the latest popup software. If you have the latest and are still having problems, reboot your computer and try again. Still having problems? Make sure your computer is configured correctly:
- Select Apple System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options.
- Enter an administrator username and password for your computer.
- On the bottom left side of the window, click Login Options.
- On the right side of the window, uncheck Show Fast User Switching.
- Select Apple System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options > Enable Pharos Popup.
Try printing again. If the popup client still does not appear, try removing and reinstalling the popup client. Follow these steps:
- Select Go > Computer > Hard Drive > Library > Application Support > Pharos > Utilities.
- Click on Uninstaller and follow the wizard to remove the popup client.
Once removed, follow steps on the Printing from Mac web page to reinstall the popup client and reconfigure the printer.
A. Your Pharos installation may have failed due to the print spooler service on your PC being stopped.
To manually restart the print spooler service:
- Press the Windows key or press CTRL+ESC to bring up the Metro screen.
- Type CMD
- In the right-hand menu, right-click Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
- If prompted to allow this, click yes/allow.
- In the command dialog box, type NET START SPOOLER
- Re-run the Pharos installer. This should resolve the issue.
Last Updated: 12/15/14