Frequently Asked Questions-Computing Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I use my own equipment?
A. That depends. External hard drives or jump drives can be used. For other equipment, submit a request via email to Indicate the course and professor's name, device type and date needed.

Q. What equipment is available in each lab?
A. Please refer to the locations list for details.

Q. Do I need my CMU ID card to use a computer lab?
A. Yes, your CMU ID card is needed to:

  • Reserve CFA 321 (Sound Room)
  • Access to CFA 323 Multimedia and West Wing Collaborative computer labs
  • Release a print job

Q. What qualifications are needed to be a computer lab consultant (CCon)?
A.  We are looking for students with good computer troubleshooting and communication skills. If you are interested, apply through TartanTrak.

Q. Can I reserve a computer?
A. Only computers in the CFA clusters may be reserved for individual use. Please see the CFA CCon on-duty to make a reservation. Note that reservations are held up to 10 minutes past the requested start time before they are considered forfeited.

Q. What is the process for reserving a computer lab?
A. Reservations are managed by the University Registrar’s Office through SpaceQuest (25Live). Faculty or staff may reserve a computer lab for an academic or professional development class; and students for community service projects. Credit-bearing classes receive first priority.

Last Updated: 4/25/16