Change Password FAQ
I tried to change my password but received an error indicating that I could not use a dictionary word.Verify that the letters within your password do not spell a word after you remove any non-alphabetical characters. The dictionary check evaluates your password as follows:
- Removes all non-alphabetical characters.
- Sets all remaining letters to lowercase.
- Runs a check on the characters to determine if the letters spell a single dictionary word.
Note: This is not a sub-string check within the password. The system checks all of the letters of the password together.
No, HR Connection uses a different password.
Computing Services cluster spaces use your Andrew userID and password for login. If you are logging into a departmental cluster space (e.g., ECE, Heinz, or CS cluster), please contact the appropriate departmental administrator.
If your password is longer than 19 characters, the following requirements do NOT apply:
- Four or more occurrences of the same character (e.g., aaaa, 2222, a123a345a678a).
- Spell a word that can be found in a standard dictionary.
If you changed your password while off campus, the following workaround may help you:
- Physically disconnect any wired or wireless connectivity from your computer. Turn the wireless switch off and/or unplug the wireless router or network cable.
- Log on to your computer using your OLD Andrew account password.
- Restore wired or wireless connectivity to your computer.
- Use your NEW Andrew account password to access all campus resources (e.g., email, Blackboard, VPN, calendar, Carnegie Mellon Web Portal, eGrades, etc.)
- When you return to campus, connect to the campus network and use your new Andrew account password to login to your computer. In the future, you will be able to login from off campus using your new Andrew account password.
Last Updated 9/30/10