Create a CMUname
To create an @cmu.edu alias, follow the appropriate steps below:
Not sure if you have a Cyrus or Exchange account? Visit MyExchange Tools! If the message, "You have been identified as using Cyrus" appears, you have a Cyrus account.
IMPORTANT: Once you've selected a CMUname, it is impossible to change it. Think very carefully before selecting a name that could be ambiguous or that you won't want for the duration of your association with Carnegie Mellon. Computing Services also reserves the right to remove inappropriate or misrepresentative CMUname selections.
CMUname on Cyrus
- Visit the Carnegie Mellon Web Portal. If you're not already authenticated, you'll be prompted to enter your Andrew userID and password.
- Select the COMPUTING tab and then Manage Email > addresses/forwarding.
- Next to the dialog box, "Would you like to create a CMU address?" enter the CMUname that you have chosen.
Note: The "Would you like to create a CMU address?" dialog box only appears if you do not already have a CMU address. Otherwise, your CMUname and Andrew accounts will be listed on the "Forward Email" link and you will have the option of changing the forwarding addresses for each.
- Click Verify. One of the following appears:
- If you selected a CMUname that is NOT available, you will be prompted to select again.
- If you selected a CMUname that is available, you can click Submit to create the CMUname.
Setting Your Return Address To Match
If you are using the Cyrus system, you should set your return email address within the preferences of your mail client. See the help files in your mail client for detailed instructions for setting the "return" or "reply-to" address.
CMUname on Exchange
- Visit My Exchange Tools. If you're not already authenticated, you'll be prompted to enter your Andrew userID and password.
- On the left side of the screen display, select Manage Preferred Name/Email. A screen similar to the following appears.
- If you already HAVE a CMUname, that name appears in the CMUname field. If you do NOT already have a CMUname, you can request one by entering the name you want to use in the "Would you like to request a CMUname?" field. Once entered, click Request.
Note: Your request is verified against the appropriate rules. Once it passes that verification, the name is created and notification is emailed to you.
Last Updated: 12/12/12