Who may reserve space
Reservations may be requested by any member of the campus community (student, faculty member, or staff member) on behalf of a recognized student organization or an academic or administrative department.
External organizations whose primary purpose is education or community service may request the use of space in the Jared L. Cohon University Center by contacting the Scheduling Office. Outside organizations will be charged a fee for the use of the space.
Vendors seeking to use table space within or outside the Cohon Center should also contact the Scheduling Office. Vendors will be charged a fee for each day of table rental.
Reservation policy and procedures
Requests for the use of space will be accepted and confirmed up to one year in advance.
Recreation facilities are available for special reservation on a limited basis due to regularly scheduled fitness classes, intramurals, and recreational programs.
Priority access for reservations is given to regular Carnegie Mellon University and/or Cohon Center functions based on the university calendar (Orientation, Homecoming, Carnival, etc.). All other requests will be accepted in the order in which they are received.
How to submit a request
When submitting a request, the following information is required:
- Your name
- Name and type of event
- Telephone number
- E-mail address
- Date of event
- Number of people attending
- Actual event time
- Brief description and purpose of the event
For Carnegie Mellon University faculty, staff, and or student individual use of the recreational facilities, such as racquetball and squash courts, reserve on the court reservations website.
Types of events
- University event: An event organized by, financially supported by, and intended for members of the Carnegie Mellon University community. If this organization is a student organization, then it must be recognized by the Committee on Student Organizations.
- Approved university-sponsored event: An event sponsored by a Carnegie Mellon University department involving an organization that is outside the university community. This event should provide and educational or community service opportunity.
Deadlines for submitting reservation requests
Please note that submitting a request for a space, either via e-mail or on the online reservation system, does not guarantee you that space. You must receive a confirmation e-mail from the Scheduling Office before your reservation is confirmed.
- Standard meeting rooms must be requested at least two full business days prior to the date of the event or meeting. Please note, however, that such a two-day notice may not allow you to make sufficient arrangements for special meeting services and setups. To ensure availability of services, information should be received 10 business days prior to an event.
- Requests for use of McConomy Auditorium, Rangos Ballroom, or the Connan Room should be received at least seven business days prior to the date of the event. Please note, however, that such notice may not allow you to make sufficent arrangements for special services and setups. To ensure availability of services, information should be received 10 business days prior to an event.
- Late requests for event space (less than two business days' notice) may result in a $25 fee, in addition to any standard room and equipment rental rates, assessed to the organization if the request is granted.
No transfer of reservations
An event sponsor may not transfer a reservation to another organization, nor may space reserved for an approved program be used for another purpose.
Requesting meeting services and setups
To ensure availability of services, the Cohon Center Scheduling Office should be notified of specific setup and use requirements as soon as possible. The Scheduling Office may not be able to accommodate requests for special equipment and setups if such requests are received less than 10 business days prior to an event.
Event sponsor responsibilities
Each reserved event must have a designated event sponsor, who must maintain responsibility for the actions of all persons using the Cohon Center's facilities as part of their event. Event sponsors must ensure that their event conforms to all Guidelines and Regulations for General Use of the Jared L. Cohon University Center.
Frequency of reservations
An organization may reserve McConomy Auditorium, Rangos Ballroom, or the Connan Room a maximum of once a week—on Sundays through Thursdays—for meetings or events. An organization may reserve McConomy Auditorium or Rangos Ballroom no more than three weekend days—Fridays and Saturdays—each semester.
Exceptions are granted on a case-by-case basis—for example, for a large-scale event drawing a wide spectrum of students or for repeat performances.
Fees for use of facilities
- University events may use meeting facilities at no cost. Fees will be incurred for audio/visual equipment, equipment rental, security, and other services (as well as for any substantial deviation from standard room setup).
- Approved university-sponsored events may use meeting facilities for a fee. There are additional charges for audio-visual equipment, rental equipment, security, and other services (as well as for any substantial deviation from standard room setup).
Payment of fees and deadlines
If fees are applicable, a 50 percent deposit is required 10 days after receipt of confirmation. The balance will be invoiced immediately following the event and is due upon receipt. If the event is canceled 10 or more business days prior to the event, then half of the deposit will be refunded.
A fee may be charged to an organization that is not present for a reservation if that organization has failed to notify the Cohon Center Scheduling Office of a cancellation within the appropriate time frame:
- For larger event spaces, cancellations must be made at least seven business days prior to the event.
- For smaller meeting spaces, cancellations must be made at least three business days prior to the event.
- In the case of a last-minute request, cancellations must be made within 24 hours of the request.
Right to adjust reservations
The Cohon Center Scheduling Office reserves the right to determine the appropriate use of the spaces within the building. An event may be relocated or denied Cohon Center space at the discretion of the Cohon Center Scheduling Office.