Some sites moving into the CMS have an existing on-campus or off-campus vanity hostname for their URL (e.g., sv.cmu.edu, www.carnegiemellonctt.com). While Computing Services only provides hosting services for www.cmu.edu URLs and cannot serve these other URLs directly, we can provide some basic virtual hosting to assist with the transition from the old URL to the new site's location on www.cmu.edu. A virtual host will respond to requests at the old URLs by redirecting them to the home page of the new site, e.g., http://www.cmu.edu/mysite.
Virtual Hosts Are Temporary
Virtual hosts are temporary (enabled for a six month period maximum) with CMS adopters moving to www.cmu.edu-based URLs. If you have reasons to continue using hostnames other than www.cmu.edu, please contact us.
Sites Meeting the Following Criteria are Eligible for a Virtual Host:
- The current site is the official university web presence for a department.
- The vanity hostname is in use by the current site and serves as the official web address for that site. We cannot host newly-created hostnames.
- The hostname is used only for the current site and does not contain other sites.
- The DNS record for the hostname is owned by the university. In the case of non-cmu.edu domains, the registrant and administrative contact records for the domain must contain "Carnegie Mellon University".
- The new site is being created in the CMS and will reside on www.cmu.edu.
You Are Responsible for Registration and Payment of Hostnames Outside of the cmu.edu Domain.
Virtual hosting is provided free of charge. However, please note that for hostnames outside of the cmu.edu domain, Computing Services can only provide virtual hosting services. The DNS record for that hostname will need to continue to be registered with an outside registrar and the registration of and payment for that record is the responsibility of the department which owns the hostname.
To find out more information or to request a virtual host, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.