David Dzombak, P.E.
Walter J. Blenko, Sr. University Professor and Department Head, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Civil & Environmental Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
EducationPh.D. 1986, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Areas of Interest
- Aquatic chemistry
- Fate and transport of chemicals in water, soil, and sediment
- Water and wastewater treatment
- In situ and ex situ soil and sediment treatment
- Abandoned mine drainage remediation
- Hazardous waste site remediation
- River and watershed restoration
- Energy and environment
- Population and environment
- Public communication of environmental engineering and science
Hussain, D., Dzombak, D.A., Jaramillo, P., and Lowry, G.V. (2013), "Comparative Lifecycle Inventory of Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Enhanced Oil Recovery Methods Using Different CO2 Sources,International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 16:129-144.
Choudhury, M.R., Hsieh, M.K., Vidic, R.D., and Dzombak, D.A. (2012), "Development of an Instantaneous Corrosion Rate Monitoring System for Metal and Metal Alloys in Recirculating Cooling Systems," Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 51:4230-4239.
Dzombak, D.A. (2011), "Nutrient Control in Large-Scale U.S. Watersheds: The Chesapeake Bay and Northern Gulf of Mexico,"The Bridge, 41(4):13-22.
Gregory, K.B., Vidic, R.D., and Dzombak, D.A. (2011), "Water Management Challenges in Development of Shale Gas with Hydraulic Fracturing," Elements, 7(3):181-186.
Li, H., Chien, S.H., Hsieh, M.K., Dzombak, D.A. and Vidic, R.V. (2011), "Escalating Water Demands for Energy Production and Potential for Use of Treated Municipal Wastewater," Environmental Science & Technology, 45:4195-4200.
Griffith, C.A., Dzombak, D.A. and Lowry, G.V. (2011), "Physical and Chemical Characteristics of Potential Seal Strata in Regions Considered for Demonstrating Geological Saline CO2 Sequestration,"Environmental Earth Sciences, 64(4):925-948.
Karamalidis, A. and Dzombak, D.A. (2010), Surface Complexation Modeling: Gibbsite, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- 2013: received with University of Pittsburgh Professor Radisav D. Vidic the 2013 Grand Prize in the University Research category of the American Academy of Environmental Scientists and Engineers' Excellence in Environmental Engineering and Science competition for a project titled "Use of Treated Municipal Wastewater as Power Plant Cooling System Makeup Water."
- 2012: named a fellow of the Water Environment Federation (WEF) for exceptional accomplishments in the field of water quality.
- 2010: named University Professor at Carnegie Mellon, the highest academic distinction university faculty members can achieve.
- 2010: named the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Distinguished Lecturer for the 2010-2011 academic year.