Sidewalk Closure and Temporary Lane Restriction of Forbes Avenue
UPDATED DUE TO THE WATER MAIN BREAK ON FORBES AVENUEModifications will be made to the sidewalk in front of the Cohon University Center Addition beginning Monday, March 7, and continuing through Friday, April 8, weather permitting.
The project work will include a new sidewalk, planting beds and a vehicle pull off in front of the Cohon Center. The work will be done in collaboration with the City of Pittsburgh and all necessary permits and clearances have been obtained.
To complete the work, the sidewalk along the Cohon Center construction site, between the bus stop and the East Campus Garage, will be closed 24/7 throughout this period. Pedestrian traffic along Forbes will be directed to the crosswalks at the Morewood Avenue and Beeler Street intersections and to the northern sidewalk along Forbes. Pedestrians also can follow the detour through campus.
In addition, work activities will cause eastbound traffic on Forbes in front of the construction site to be reduced to one lane from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. The restriction will be in effect from Morewood to just past the access drive to the Cohon Center loading dock. Westbound traffic on Forbes will not be affected.
Access to Loading Dock and East Campus Garage
Access to the Cohon Center loading dock will be restricted to a single lane from Feb. 29 to March 25 to allow for construction of a new concrete apron and lane divider. Due to this restriction, the access drive will be limited to delivery vehicles only.
Access to and from the East Campus Garage will be from the Beeler Street Entrance/Exit during this time (Feb. 29-March 25).
- Excavation for the rain gardens is under way. As part of this work, there will be increased truck traffic to the construction site as we remove soil. The construction of the first rain garden began over the holiday break. In January, we will begin to assemble the gabian wall system and complete the structural installation of the first rain garden.
- The building shell installation is underway. The brick veneet along the east elevation is complete, the curtain wall system is receiving finish and trim, and the zink panel system is currently being installed. This work will continue through to March.
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing rough-ins within the building are substantially complete.The majority of walls within the building are framed, and drywall continues to be hung on the first and second level. Finishes in the lower level are beginning
- Renovation of the Skibo Cafe is underway. This project began on January 4, 2016, and is slated to be complete in May 2016.
Phase 1 – East Campus Garage Beeler Entrance/Exit Modifications –COMPLETE
Phase 2 – East Campus Garage Entry/Exit Modifications & Temporary Loading Dock – COMPLETE
Phase 3 – Cohon University Center Addition - ESTIMATED COMPLETION APRIL/MAY 2016
Phase 4 – Cohon University Center Pool and Locker Room and Gym Air Handler Renovations - COMPLETE
- Jared L. Cohon University Center Naming Ceremony
- The Steel Topping took place on Thursday May 7th. This is a key milestone of the project, representing the completion of steel erection. (click on image to enlarge)