The Jared L. Cohon University Center Addition is designed to meet the growing demand for physical fitness, recreation and education while enhancing campus life for students, faculty, and staff. The bright, inviting addition of 62,000 SF includes fitness space, two exercise studios, a cycling studio, additional locker rooms, an improved equipment desk, a pool spectator balcony, and a new entrance and lobby. A new studio theater located just off of the lobby will serve a wide range of student groups, and a wide variety of smaller performances in a studio theater environment.
The addition creates a front door for the University on Forbes Avenue and establishes a street presence that reinforces the master plan goals. The addition is configured to establish a clear path from the East Campus Garage to the front door of the UC and further west to the rest of the campus. While complementary to the existing facility, the addition is designed to be a contemporary architectural piece, incorporating materials from the existing building palette.
Campus Design & Facility Development will be working in coordination with the following departments and companies to execute this project smoothly.
- Office of the VP for Campus Affairs
- Student Affairs
- Student Activities
- Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation
- Campus Services
- Dining Services
- Facilities Management Services
- Cohon University Center Staff
- Property Accounting Services-Space
- Computing Services
- Cannon Design; Design Architect/Architect or Record; New York, NY
- Mosites Construction; Construction Manager; Pittsburgh, PA
- Andropogon; Landscape Architect; Philadelphia, PA
- Lami Grubb Architects; Associate Architects, Construction Administration; Pittsburgh, PA
- Pennoni Associates; Civil Engineer; Pittsburgh, PA
- The Sextant Group; Acoustics, AV, Security; Pittsburgh, PA
- Theatre Consultants Collaborative; Theatre Design; Chapel Hill, NC