Resumes & Cover Letters
Resumes, cover letters/emails, networking emails, references, portfolios, etc. will likely form your first impression for potential recruiters and graduate schools.
To maximize your chances for success, we have created and compiled college-specific templates and resources, incorporating feedback from our recruiting partners as well as Carnegie Mellon faculty and staff.
The purpose of the resume is not to get a job, but to obtain an interview. It should be a clear and concise summary of qualifications that pertain to the position and should be limited to one page. The goal is to attract sufficient attention to create an interview opportunity.
Before you upload your resume to TartanTRAK or send it to a potential employer, take time to review and proofread it. It should be error-free and consistent in format, punctuation, and verb tense.
Assistance with Career Document Development and Review
First-Year Sample Resume
If you are a first-year student and creating your first resume, please view the sample resume below.
For tips on how to improve your resume, please view Sample Resumes by College below.
Sample Resumes by College
- College of Fine Arts (CFA) [.pdf]
- Dietrich College of Humanities & Social Sciences [.pdf]
- Carnegie Institute of Technology:
- ChemE [.pdf], ChemE [.doc]
- CivE [.pdf], CivE [.doc]
- ECE Freshman/Sophomore Resume [.pdf], ECE Freshman/Sophomore Resume [.doc], ECE Professional MS [.doc], ECE Professional MS [.pdf], ECE Phd [.doc], ECE Phd [.pdf]
- ESTP [.doc], ESTP [.pdf]
- MechE [.pdf], MechE [.doc],
- MSE Fresh-Soph Resume [.doc], MSE Fresh-Soph Resume [.pdf], MSE Jr-Sr Resume [.pdf], MSE Jr-Sr Resume [.doc], MSE MS [.doc], MSE MS [.pdf], MSE Phd [.doc], MSE Phd [.pdf]
- Mellon College of Science:
- Tepper School of Business:
Cover Letters and Career Documents
Career documents are an important communication tool and most job search campaigns cannot be conducted without them. When sending a letter, candidates should follow the basic business letter format described in this section. Regardless of whether you send your letter via U.S. mail or email, strong letters will produce a positive first impression.
Sample Cover Letters & Emails by College
- Tepper School of Business (TPR Undergraduate) [.pdf]