Graduate School: Recommendation Letters-Career and Professional Development Center - Carnegie Mellon University
Graduate School: Recommendation Letters
- Usually you will need three recommendations
- To write your recommendations letters, you could ask: professors, past or current supervisors, advisors, or other people who know you well (not your peers or friends)
- An effective method to ask a person to write you a recommendation is:
"Would you feel comfortable writing me a good recommendation?"
- Make sure each person writing you a recommendation knows what kind of program you are applying for and even the kind of things you would like them to emphasize about you. Give them a copy of your resume.
- Timing: summer before your senior year or fall semester of senior year