CAOC - Creative Arts Opportunities Conference and Design Confluence
Information for Employers
The Creative Arts Opportunities Conference is a career fair to connect employers with our students interested in creative industries from the College of Fine Arts and beyond. Opportunities can include, but not limited to: Art, Architecture, Drama, Graphic & Industrial Design, Music, Animation & Gaming, Writing, Innovation, Lighting/Scene/Exhibit Design, Marketing & Advertising, Branding, Usability/User Interface/Interaction Design/Research/ Management, Teaching, Museum Management, and Public Service.
Find talent for your full-time, part-time, summer, or internship positions.
Creative Arts Opportunities Conference
February 20, 2014*
University Center - Rangos Ballroom
*Day After CAOC Interviews and Portfolio Reviews will be held on February 21, 2014. Please see tab below for more information.
Employer Check-In and Hospitality Area
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
CPDC University Center, Lower Level
Confluence, Carnegie Mellon University School of Design’s 19th Annual Career Days event, partners with the CAOC Career Fair. Confluence is the primary recruiting forum where employers are invited to tour students' studios and view their work across both undergraduate and graduate programs.
CAOC / Confluence Registration, Deadlines, and Fees
Register online through TartanTRAK
Online registrations will be taken until the dates listed below. Once online registration has closed, please call Janet Vojtash at 412-268-7051 and registrations will be taken if space is available.
Updating registration – Updates can be made through TartanTRAK by February 11 (i.e. number of career fair tables, lunch vouchers, interview tables, etc.). Please include attending representative names so that name tags may be printed in advance. If you are unsure who will be attending from your organization when you register, or if your representatives need to change, please update your registration as soon as possible. This aids in the check-in process and allows us to identify our alumni.
Registration Dates and Fees
||Through Dec. 19, 2013||$150.00|
||Dec. 20 – Feb. 11, 2014||$200.00|
||Feb. 12 –18, 2014||$250.00|
*Standard Registration Deadline: February 11, 2014
What is Included with Your CAOC Registration
(See the Confluence page for details about events related to Confluence for Design)
One 6' x 30” table with black linen, two chairs, electrical outlet, wireless internet connection (you must indicate this on your registration form), up to four (4) representatives per table, one lunch voucher for each registered representative, and one parking access code per company.MediaTech Services is available for your event needs. There is a separate charge for any MediaTech services. You are responsible for ordering MediaTech services through our Conference and Event Services Department at: 412-268-1125.
Cancellations made by February 11, 2014 will be fully refunded. We are unable to refund for cancellations made after February 11, 2014.
Audio / Visual Needs
MediaTech Services is available for your AV needs. There is a separate charge for any MediaTech services. You are responsible for ordering MediaTech throught Conference and Event Services.
Conference and Event Services
412-268-1125 or 800-590-4139
Sample AV Equipment available
- 10' Portable Screen
- 6' Portable Screen
- 8' Portable Screen
- Data/Video Projector (Single Image)
- DVD Player
- Easel / Pad / Marker Package
- Flat Screen Monitor
- Light Board
- Press Box
- VHS Cassette Player
Interviewing Candidates on February 21
If you chose to interview on February 21, please indicate so in your registration.
Day After CAOC Interviews - Friday, February 21
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
University Center, 2nd floor (McKenna/Peter/Wright)
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
University Center, 2nd floor (Rangos Ballroom**)
Interviewers will receive their interview location two (2) days prior to the event.
**CPDC Career Partners will be given preference to schedule interview rooms at the CPDC in addition to other benefits. Please visit our Career Partners web page for detailed information about becoming a CPDC Career Partner.
$25 per interview table (up to three table limit)
Job Posting / Interview Process
- We will create two (2) general job postings for your pre-select reservation. Both job postings will be connected to your interview schedule(s). One posting will be for CFA students only to submit their resumes to apply for an interview. The second posting will be for all students to apply/submit their resume for an interview. Employers may select students from either posting.
- You will have the ability to modify the job postings if you want them to be more specific. You can make multiple schedules, each one corresponding to a different position, (e.g., one for full-time and the other for internship). Any modifications should be made on both job postings and be done BEFORE students are able to submit their resume.
- There will be a copy of your existing schedule in your packet if you pre-selected students.
- If you did not make pre-selections, or need to create a schedule that day, please inform the Career and Professional Development Center staff upon check in. They will ensure that you have blank schedules to create your interview day.
Day After CAOC Interview Specifics
- The interviews are 30 minutes each. If you wish to have an alternate length you must notify Judy Ellgass at 412-268-3994 or firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible before you make pre-selects and students are able to pick interview times.
- The account that registered for the event will be listed as the contact for the interviews and will receive all correspondence including resume packets of applicants and deadline information.
- The contact listed for the interviews should either be responsible for forwarding all information to those actually selecting and interviewing the students, or have the representative that will be responsible for that process create an account and have the interview and postings linked to them. This ensures that important deadlines are not missed.
- Each employee of an organization can create an individual account and connect it to the primary organization account. This is preferable rather than sharing an account login.
Pre-Select Interview Schedules
Pre-select schedules allow you to have advanced choice on students you interview. Interested students submit their resumes to your interview schedule. A resume packet will be emailed to the recruiter for review on the date resume submission ends. The recruiter reviews the resumes and through their TartanTRAK account "pre-selects" those that they wish to interview. Pre-selects must be completed by 2/18/14. You may pre-select as many students as you have available time slots. You may also choose alternates in case all of your pre-selected students do not choose an interview slot. Please be advised that your pre-select schedule closes two (2) days prior to the interview date.
IMPORTANT: You do NOT have to preselect your entire schedule. It is recommended to leave some time slots open for those students you meet at the CAOC/Confluence. If you do not pre-select any students, you can create your schedule from students you meet during the event(s) on February 20.
Judy Ellgass at 412-268-3994 can assist you with questions about the pre-selection process, deadlines, issues related to your interview schedule(s).
Shipping Your Materials
Prior to the Career Fair
Shipping Materials for Your Use During the CAOC
The CPDC uses Stetson Convention Services for shipping conference materials. Please download the CAOC/Confluence Exhibitor Packet [.pdf] for details on shipping your materials for the CAOC and Confluence. Please label each package with you company name, table number and event date and ship to:
Exhibit Company Name, Booth #, Event Date
c/o Stetson Convention Services
2900 Stayton St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
There are additional optional items available in the Exhibitor Packet from Stetson Convention Services. This is solely for additional items you may wish to order to enhance your booth at the career fair. (Your event registration for the CAOC and Confluence already includes a covered table, two chairs, electricity hook-up)
Do not ship materials directly to Carnegie Mellon University. All event materials must be shipped through Stetson Convention Services.
What Materials Should I Bring to the CAOC?
- Promotional items – (employers should not feel obligated to bring promotional items, however, employers wishing to do so are welcome)
- Free standing displays or boards
- Information about your organization
- AV needs can be obtained by contacting Conference and Event Services at 412-268-1125 or email@example.com (additional charges apply)
- Business cards
- Multiple copies of the internship or job descriptions
- Information on how interested students should follow-up with you (especially if you are not interviewing on day two.)
These are just some ideas that we have encountered in the past, but please feel free to be creative and bring anything you think will be useful.
After the Career Fair
Shipping Your Materials Back to Your Company
It is your responsibility to see that display materials are returned to your company. Your organization is responsible for return shipping cost. Please bring pre-printed FedEx or UPS labels with you for each package to be shipped back (including account number). We do have FedEx and UPS representatives on hand to pick up boxes shipped through their services.
If you do not use FedEx or UPS, please arrange for materials to be picked up by your carrier between 5:30 pm and 6:30 pm on the day of the event at the University Center Loading Dock.
University Center Loading Dock
5000 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Parking, Directions, and Map
We will provide one parking access code per company for the East Campus Garage for February 20 (day of CAOC). A limited number of parking access codes will be available for February 21 (Interview Day). Parking access code will be given on a first-come, first-served basis.
What to do When You Arrive on Campus
- When you arrive at the CAOC/Confluence, please proceed to the University Center Circle to drop off any career fair materials you may have. A staff member will greet you and take your materials to your career fair table.
- Proceed to the East Campus Garage entrance closest to the University Center. Please note, there will probably be a sign saying that the garage is full, ignore this sign, a space has been reserved for you.
- Enter the parking access code emailed to you prior to the event into the keypad on the gate box and the gate will lift. You will also need this code to exit the garage.
- Enter the garage and park in any open space, except spaces reserved with a sign (e.g. Parking Services Only, Off-campus Employees).
- When you check in on February 20, please inform the staff if you will need a parking access code for February 21. Parking access codes are limited and available first come first serve for February 21.
- When exiting for the day, enter the parking access code on the key pad. This serves as your parking payment. Please note: No re-entry permitted.
Directions and MapDirections to Campus