CAOC - Creative Arts Opportunities Conference and Design Confluence
Information for Employers
The Creative Arts Opportunities Conference is a career fair to connect employers with our students interested in creative industries -- from our students in the College of Fine Arts students (which includes design, architecture, drama, music and art) to our students in english, human-computer interaction, business, and beyond.
Whether you have part-time, summer, internship or full-time positions available, the Creative Arts Opportunities Conference is the place for you.
Creative Arts Opportunities Conference
Date: February 28, 2013
Time: 2:30-6:00 p.m.
University Center, Rangos Ballroom + McKenna/Peter/Wright
Carnegie Mellon University School of Design's 18th Annual Career Days event will be held on February 28 and March 1, 2013. Known as Confluence, this event is partnered with the Carnegie Mellon Creative Arts Opportunities Conference. Confluence is our primary recruiting forum where we invite you to tour our studios and view students' work across the undergraduate and graduate programs. As part of Confluence and CAOC, you may elect to host a table to promote your company and meet our students on Thursday. You may also choose to conduct formal interviews on the second day.
Note: you must register for each part of Confluence in which you would like to participate, and indicate if you will conduct interviews on Friday in the registration. Most organizations choose both the CAOC and Confluence options to get the most out of the events.
Further information with a complete schedule and student portfolio gallery will be available January 15st, 2013.
Registration Deadlines and Fees
Early: $125 through January 4
Regular: $150 beginning January 5
Late: $200 after February 15
Registration Deadline February 21.
The following items will be provided:
- 6' table with linens, two chairs and booth signage
- Dedicated power source at each booth
- One parking pass per company
- Lunch voucher for up to 4 representatives ($9 value each)
Audio/visual Needs: MediaTech Services is available for your event needs (for example, reserving a flat-screen t.v.). There is a separate charge for any MediaTech services. You are responsible for ordering from MediaTech at: 412-268-8855.
Cancellations made by February 21, 2013 will be fully refunded. We are unable to refund cancellations made after February 21, 2013.
Interviewing Candidates the Day After the CAOC
If you chose to interview on Friday, March 1, please indicate so on your registration. We will create two job postings for your preselect reservation to attach to your interview schedules: one that only CFA students can apply/submit their resume to; and, one that all students can apply/submit their resume to. Employers may select students from either resume pool to make interview schedules.
Preselect schedules allow you to have advanced choice of those students you would like interview. Interested students submit their resumes to your interview schedule. A resume packet will be emailed for your review on February 11. After reviewing resumes, you then 'preselect' those that you wish to interview using your TartanTRAK account. Preselects must be completed by February 19.
You may preselect as many students as your available time slots will allow. Please Note: You do not have to preselect your entire schedule. We recommend leaving some time slots open for students you will meet at the CAOC. Alternates may also be chosen in case all of your preselected students do not choose an interview slot. If you do not preselect any students, you can create your schedule from students you meet during the event on Thursday, February 28.
The Interview Day
On the day of the interviews, you will be greeted in the morning by a Career and Professional Development Center staff member. If you made any changes to your TartanTRAK schedule, we will make a copy of your completed schedule to facilitate student check-in. Please be sure to bring your schedule with you.
Judy Ellgass, at 412-268-3994 or firstname.lastname@example.org, will assist you with making reservations for interviews or information sessions in TartanTrak.
Directions to Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
You will find directions and a campus map on the Travel to Carnegie Mellon page
Drop Off / Parking
Drop OffPlease pull into The Circle (University Center Turnaround) off Forbes Avenue to drop off any career fair materials. CPDC Staff will be on hand to assist you.
One complimentary parking pass per company will be provided for our East Campus Garage--for the day of the CAOC only.
- Pull into the East Campus Parking Garage (closest to the University Center). Please note, there may be a sign indicating the garage is full. Please ignore this sign; a space has been reserved for you.
- Take a ticket when entering the garage. You will need this ticket and your parking pass to exit. (Please ignore listed fees; they do not apply to you.
- Park in any open space except those marked “Reserved.
- Take your parking ticket into the Career Fair with you.
- You will receive your parking pass in your packet at Check In.
- At the end of the day, go to the pay station in the garage (two red machines located on the first floor of the garage on the back wall of the parking/security offices). Insert your entry ticket (the ticket you got when you entered the garage) and then enter your parking pass. The machine will return your validated entry ticket.
- When you drive to the exit gate, insert the ticket to exit.
Shipping Your Materials
Carnegie Mellon University - Campus Services
University Receiving and Distribution
6555 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Please put your company name on the boxes, so we can easily place them at your booth. Materials must be recieved no later than February 26, 2013.
It is your responsibility to see that display materials are returned to your company. Please bring pre-printed FedEx or UPS labels with you for each package to be shipped back. We do have FedEx and UPS representatives on hand to pick up boxes shipped through their services. If you do not use their services, please arrange for materials to be picked up between 5:00 and 6:30 p.m. on the day of the event. You must call your carrier directly and request pickup from the University Center Loading Dock located at:
University Center Loading Dock
5000 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
What should I bring?
You will be provided with a table, chairs, and power. You are welcome to bring any of the following:
- Promotional items – note that this is not a conventional job fair and guests/employers should not feel obligated to bring promotional items. However, employers wishing to do so are welcome.
- Free standing displays or boards
- Information about your organization
- Business cards
- If you are recruiting for intern or full-time positions, you should bring multiple copies of the internship or job descriptions. Please include information on how interested students should follow-up with you.
These are just some ideas that we have encountered in the past, but please feel free to be creative and bring anything you think will be useful!