User Enrollment in a Blackboard Course
Enrollment in a Blackboard course will typically occur automatically based on registration, but users may also be added manually.
Automatic Enrollment for Instructors and Registered Students
Students registered in the HUB and officially enrolled in a course will automatically be enrolled in a Blackboard course. Based on the Blackboard course request made by the instructor, the instructor and TAs listed on the request form will also be automatically enrolled in the Blackboard course (given the instructor has requested a Blackboard course).
Certain types of students commonly experience enrollment problems and therefore do not have access to course materials in Blackboard, especially during the first two weeks of the semester.
Cross-Registered Students: It can take up to two weeks for cross-registered students to receive their Andrew IDs. While students await their Andrew IDs, instructors may wish to allow guest access to their Blackboard course.
Students on the Wait List: Wait-listed students do not initially have access to the Blackboard course site. If you have important course materials that students need to see before they become automatically enrolled in the Blackboard course, you may want to manually enroll these students.
Enroll a TA / User
Instructors have the ability to manually enroll users in the course (e.g. TAs, students, guest lecturers). TAs can enroll students and guests in a course, but cannot enroll other TAs or instructors.
Note: Users must have an Andrew account to be added to the course. If a user does not have an Andrew account, refer to the "User Accounts" documentation.
- From the "Control Panel", expand the "Users and Groups" menu.
- Click "Users".
Click "Find Users to Enroll" (located at the top of the
If the Andrew ID of the user to add to the course is known, it can be supplied
directly in the "Username" text field. If the Andrew ID of the user is
not known, search for the user:
Click "Browse..." to bring up a search window.
Select the appropriate field to search against:
Username: The user's Andrew ID
(the text before the @andrew.cmu.edu in an official email address)
Note: The text before an @cmu.edu email address is not guaranteed to be an andrew id.
- Last Name: The user's surname
- First Name: The user's given name
- Email: The user's email address.
- Username: The user's Andrew ID
- Select the search type "Contains" from the second dropdown menu, as it is the most liberal. Leave it as this unless too many results are returned to read through.
Enter the known information about the user in text box.
Click "Go". Blackboard will return a list of users that matches
the search parameters.
Be Aware: A user already enrolled in the course will not be returned in these search results.
Note: When a student has become "disabled" in the course, his/her name will not appear in either list. Contact Blackboard Support for assistance when this occurs.
Select the checkbox next to each user that should be enrolled in the
- Click "Submit" to return to the "Enroll Users" page with the results of the search. The username text field will be populated with the users returned from the search.
- Click "Browse..." to bring up a search window.
From the "Enrollment Availability" dropdown menu, select a role for
the user or leave the default ("Student").
- Click "Submit" to enroll the user.
Note: In Blackboard 9.1, the "Search" field on the "Users" page is intended for searching students already enrolled in the Blackboard course and does NOT search for all users listed in the Carnegie Mellon directory. A separate "Search" field is provided for finding users to manually enroll in the course.
List Enrolled Users
Expand the "Users and Groups" area in the "Control
Panel" and click on "Users". A list of users enrolled in
the course will appear.
Note: If all users are not showing and you'd like to show all, click the "Show All" button located beneath the list of users.
If the list of students is empty, Blackboard may have a cached filter. To reset the filter and view all enrolled users:
- Locate the two dropdown menus that appear under the "Find Users to Enroll" button at the top of the "Users" page.
- Select "Not blank" in the second dropdown menu.
- Delete any text that appears in the text box to its right.
- Click "Go" which appears to the far right of the text box. This will prompt Blackboard to load the current list of enrolled users.
Search for an Enrolled User
Enter an enrolled user's Last Name, User Name, or Email address in the
Search field and click the "Go" button. The user's
information (name, username, email, role in Blackboard) will appear.
Note: This search utility will only return results for users already enrolled in the course.