Spring 2006 Journal Club
(Graduate Research Seminar)
Journal club is held in the Conference Room of the Mellon Institute at
3:30 on Wednesdays unless otherwise indicated.
|Jan. 18||Timothy Feinstein||"MEK makes mitosis meatie"|
|Mangala Srinivas||"Tracking autoimmune T cells in prediabetic mice in vivo using MRI"|
|Jan. 25||No Journal Club|
|Feb. 1||Juchang Hua||"PSLID - protein subcellular location image database"|
|Yanhua Hu||"Automated interpretation of protein subcellular location in fluorescence time series images using temporal texture features"|
|Feb. 8||Parul Nisha||"The chromatin language of modification vs. remodeling"|
|Arun Krishnaswamy||"A random forest approach to chemical shift prediction"|
|Feb. 15||Rotation Reports||1. "Optical imaging of orientation domains in ferret V1"
Cory Flynn, Advisor: Justin Crowley
2. "Centrosome morphology in the Drosophila syncytial embryo"
3. "In-vivo two photon imaging - correction of motion artifacts"
4. "Development of a protein phosphatase assay on tissue from
5. "Membrane properties of a novel voltage sensitive dye"
6. "Fluorescent peptide nucleic acid probe for RNA lariat visualization"
7. "Ventral furrow formation and end on embryo imaging"
|Rotation Reports||1. "Finding maternal Wnt"
Michael Chen, Advisor: Charles Ettensohn
2. "Rational approach to stable quantum dot phospholipid micelles"
3. "Stability of mini PEG substituted peptide nucleic acids in guanidine quadruplexes and complementary duplexes with DNA targets"
4. "The role of p97/p47 in the secretory pathway"
5. "Role of p37/p97 in the secretory pathway"
7. "Activity-dependent changes in alpha-1D expression"
|Feb. 22||Nan Song||"Do domain architectures determine protein families?"|
|John Woolford||"To die, to sleep, to reawaken....exactly where inside of cells might siRNAs or microRNAs silence gene expression...or reactivate sleeping mRNAs?"|
|March 8||Robert Murphy||"Bioimaging informatics infrastructure"|
|Frederick Lanni||"Natural electronics"|
|March 15||Spring Break - No Journal Club|
|March 22||Anupam Goyal||"The regulation of ventral furrow formation by cofilin, an actin-depolymerizing factor (ADF)"|
|Lan Tang||"It takes three to tango"|
|March 29||Javier López|
|David Hackney||"You know you gotta make up your mind - to say yes to one and leave the others behind"
A change in the selective translocation of the kinesin-1 motor domain marks the initial specification of the axon. Jacobson, et al. Neuron, March
|April 19||Narayan Raghupathy||"Aaah!"|
|April 26||Brooke McCartney||"Yes, 1000 reviews can be wrong: a new view of the adherens junction"|
"Cutting the ties that bind"
Adam meets Ehp: An ADAM substrate recognition module acts as a molecular switch for Ehprin cleavage in trans. Janes et al, Cell 2005, 123, 291-304.
|Rotation Reports||"Non-binary tree reconciliation"
1. Maureen Stolzer
"Fluorescence correlation spectroscopy: applications in molecular interactions."
"Neuronal differentiation of stem cells"
"Activity-dependant changes in AMPA receptor trafficking in layer 2/3 pyramidal cells"
"Identification of new components of the PMC gene regulatory network"
"Fluorescent RAPD analysis of lariats"
"Single-molecule analysis of splicing - Effect of PNA probes on splice site choice"
|Rotation Reports||"Thalamocortical cell characterization in the rat barrel system""
1. Corey Flynn, Advisor: Dan Simons, University of Pittsburgh
"Kinase biosensors: protein engineering of single chain antibodies"
"Measuring reponses to stimuli with aversive and appetitive outcome"
"Electroporation for efficient delivery of nanoparticles into cells"
"Effects of COPII vesicle assembly on the ER network"
"Understanding the role of Pros35 in ventral furrow formation"
"Exploring eye-specific circuitry in the visual system"