HHMI Summer Researcher
The application deadline for Summer 2014 positions is 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 24, 2014. Applicants will be notified of their application status by Friday, March 7, 2014.
The HHMI Summer Researcher program allows students to participate in paid summer research, while maintaining the flexibility to take courses, prepare for the MCATs or GREs, or participate in volunteer activities. The hours of commitment for the program are set by the student and their faculty research supervisor. The student also can attend an optional seminar program that includes active discussions of current scientific literature.
Researcher applications must include a personal statement. Please note that it is not necessary to provide a transcript.
We will consider exceptional Summer Researcher applicants who have not yet identified a research mentor. However, applications with a defined mentor and project will be generally more competitive.
Use the box indicated on the online application form. Your statement may be 500-1000 words in length. You may include any information that you consider relevant to evaluation of your application, but the review committee will look for six specific points:
- your academic interests;
- your life goals (which are not necessarily career goals);
- your formative experiences and how they shaped your interests and goals;
- your career goals and how they tie together your academic interests and life goals;
- how this project relates to your interests, and how it will support or shape your career goals;
- any other benefits from your participation in the HHMI Summer Researchers program.
Housing is NOT included in this program.