Friday, April 29, 2011
2011 Art Awards Turns Royal Wedding
"Across the ocean, some muddy blue-blooded reptilian royals are celebrating their holy moly matrimony. But here in the colonies they have forgotten our class! Lettuce begin, bacon our ritual, tomatoe of our romance, something to remember."
The 2011 Art Awards were not about to be shown up by whatever was going on at Westminster Abbey on April 29, 2011. No. We had pomp and circumstance to spare in this year's display of talent, tradition, innovation, fashion and...of course...love. As the annual awards came to a close, students turned the tables, marrying each other off to faculty and staff in a ceremony of epic proportions. View All 2011 Art Awards Photos
2011 School of Art Awardees
Freshman Awards - $600
- Augusta Fisher Porter Freshman Award – Caroline Record
- Emily Phyllis Howard Freshman Award – Jamie Walters
- Joseph B Ellis Freshman Award – Michael Bennett
- Wilfred Readio Freshman Award – Justin Lin
Sophomore Awards - $800
- Emily Phyllis Howard Sophomore Award – Emily Wobb
- Anne Ophelia Dowden Sophomore Award – Sarah Ceurvorst
- Wilfred Readio Sophomore Award – Mitsuko Verdery
- Samuel Rosenberg Sophomore Award – Laura Westover
Junior Awards - $1000
- Emily Phyllis Howard Junior Award – Julie Mallis
- Wilfred Readio Junior Award – Megan Trott
- Samuel Rosenberg Junior Award – Julia Cahill
- Marjory Glassburn Francis Junior Award ($1200) – Anya Weitzman
Senior Awards - $1200
- Michael Royce
- Lizzee Solomon
- Sibel Ergener
- Meg Callen
- Haydee Nuala
- Sara Schoenberger
Interdisciplinary Award - $5000
- Dan Wilcox (and Heather Knight, HCII)
C.G. Douglas "WRONG WAY" Corrigan Travel Fellowship - $1000
- Agnes Bolt and Nina Sarnelle
Presented by HarrySON of a Preacher Man and Oscar High Priestess
You’ve lived among each other for at least a year, and with all good intentions we’ll make you more dear. Oscar! High priestess, please grant us an audience!
Bejeweled guests, please form a line! Feel to free to snort, jostle and cry. Together we bond you, forever and never, our couples of this tamponofmassobstruction.
We begin with the youngest and work our way up, so that wisdom will lead us to the bfa cup.
And last but not least, all y'all.
Turn to your partner, show your paper heart.
Trade, swap and lick them till you’ve confused all your parts.
We now announce you husbands and wives, forever and never. Kiss whoever you want, don't be jealous.
(Cue Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You")
To the miller come all!
Out the great hall, front door only, double lines, grab your hitch and march in time!
By: Harrison Apple (BHA '13), Lauren Goshinski, email@example.com, 412.268.2409