Transfer & Exchange-School of Art - Carnegie Mellon University

Transfer Students

Transfer from outside CMU is only currently available into BFA program. Applicants must complete all admission requirements, including the portfolio review. Transfer students should expect to have freshmen status for at least the first semester at the School of Art. Transfer credit is evaluated after the applicant has studied at the School of Art for a period of time. Course credit is generally transferred in the first semester, prior to spring registration.

International Exchange Students

BFA or MFA students interested in attending CMU through international exchange programs must register with the international study coordinator at their home schools. Only institutions with active Exchange Protocols with the School of Art are eligible to attend.

As part of the application, students or their school’s international study coordinator must send:

  • Portfolio
  • Passport copy
  • Copy of TOEFL Scores
  • CMU Exchange Application
  • Resume
  • Official Transcript

Once accepted, the School of Art sends a packet of information for students to read and complete that includes:

  • Office of International Education forms
  • Housing Application
  • Acceptance letter
  • Art course registration form
  • Orientation letter