University forms, policies and information regarding undergraduate admissions
Undergraduate admissions is conducted through the University Office of Admission in cooperation with School of Art faculty and staff.
The School of Art is interested in students who demonstrate:
- an engagement with various materials, ideas and contexts
- cultural awareness and ambition
- technical skills
- a willingness to experiment and engage in personal research
- ability to work on a wide range of artistic concerns, in depth or in a sequence
- strong self-motivation
HOW TO APPLY:
- Choose early decision deadline November 1, or regular decision deadline January 1
- Start your university application with CMU Admissions
- Register and submit your art portfolio to the School of Art online
- Applicants are considered for fall semester admission only
- Applicants to the School of Art must submit a portfolio through SlideRoom
2015 ADMISSION DEADLINES:
Application must be submitted to the Office of Admission by these dates.
|Nov. 1, 2015||Early Decision||Application, Supplement, SlideRoom Portfolio Submission|
|Jan. 1, 2016||Regular Decision||Application|
|Jan. 15, 2016||Regular Decision||Supplement, SlideRoom Portfolio Submission|
All applicants to the School of Art must submit a portfolio of creative work for online review, exclusively through the SlideRoom portfolio service.Students' capabilities and application are evaluated through:
- a creative work portfolio review
- high school grades
- standardized test scores
- extracurricular activities
- personal statements
Online Portfolio Review
Visit SlideRoom to submit your portfolio to the School of Art. This online portfolio service will allow you to upload, label, arrange and submit your portfolio electronically.
- Early Decision applicants should upload their portfolios by November 1
- Regular Decision applicants should upload their portfolios by January 15
For portfolio guidelines and online submission recommendations and FAQ, please review our portfolio review preparation and tips page.
Please note: SlideRoom charges $12.00 to manage your portfolio for the School of Art. SlideRoom is a private company contracted by Carnegie Mellon to manage applicant portfolios; this money does not go to Carnegie Mellon.
OPTIONAL ON-CAMPUS INTERVIEW:
In addition to the required online portfolio, applicants are encouraged to visit campus for an optional interview with professors from the School of Art. Such a visit is also an excellent opportunity to meet our faculty and tour the campus. Please note, however, that the interview is purely optional and cannot replace the required online portfolio submission.
Nov 1 – Art (1:00 PM) (Early Decision only)
Jan 24 – Art (9:00 AM & 1:00 PM)
Jan 31 – Art (9:00 AM & 1:00 PM)
Feb 7 – Art (9:00 AM & 1:00 PM)