Monday, October 18, 2010
Undergraduate Research Opportunity for Sophomore Students
Application Deadline 04 November
SRC URO (Undergraduate Research Opportunity) program, funded through the Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC).
The goals are to encourage the retention of all students, including women and under-represented minorities, in information technology and semiconductor fields; and to encourage all students, including women and under-represented minorities, in these fields to pursue graduate degrees. A faculty committee has been organized to plan the application/program process.
The DEADLINE for applications is NOVEMBER 4th.
- The program will be open only to current sophomores, with a PERMANENT RIGHT to WORK, and with a minimum 2.8 qpa.
- Students will apply to join the new SRC-URO program, which includes at least 3 semesters of support, along with a full time SURF (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship) requires a separate application and acceptance as per Carnegie Mellon's Undergraduate Research Office guidelines) on campus in Summer 2010.
- Only 4 spots will be available.
- Students will receive $2000 stipend each semester and $3500/stipend over the summer
- Students who participate must commit to the full time period of the program and meet specific requirements, which will be outlined. This will include, among other things, special workshops/lectures/meetings and assessments.
- All students will present their research annually at our campus-wide research symposium, Meeting of the Minds
- Additional funding for the 2 semesters in the senior year are being explored, in order to make this a 5 semester/and summer commitment.
- Students are expected to participate in an internship between their junior and senior years. Assistance will be provided to facilitate the process.