The School of Architecture's Graduate Programs require GRE scores from all applicants (and TOEFL or IELTS scores from International applicants)
Official Score Reports must reach us by the Application Deadline. Official Score Reports are issued up to three (3) months after the test is taken. Please schedule your test dates accordingly.
GRE Score Report
Institution code for the GRE: 2074
Department code for the GRE: 4401
An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Score Report, sent from the Educational Testing Service (ETS), is required of every applicant, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Do you have a minimum GRE score requirement?
I took the GRE 3 years ago. Will my scores still count?
- We normally accept scores from only 2 years back. However, our graduate committee holds the right to consider any valid GRE score reported to us by Educational Testing Service (www.ets.org)
- We generally accept only GRE scores. If you believe that yours is a special case, please contact the Track Chair of the program that you are applying to, and explain why you think we should make an exception.
TOEFL Score Report (International Students Only)
Institution code for the TOEFL: 2074
Department code for the TOEFL: 12
An official TOEFL Score Report for the Internet-Based Test (taken within the last three (3) years) sent to us from the Educational Testing Service (ETS), is required of ALL international students whose native language is not English.
Do I have to take the TOEFL?
- If your native language is not English AND you will require a visa to attend Carnegie Mellon you will need to provide a TOEFL score.
Do you have a minimum TOEFL score requirement?
- Yes. The minimum TOEFL score for acceptance in the School of Architecture is 100, with a minimum subscore of 24 in each category; Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing. (Minimum accepted IELTS score is 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in each category). Our graduate committee reserves the right to consider applicants who do not meet our 24 minimum requirement in each category.
- These minimum scores are strictly enforced. We have found that success and happiness in our graduate programs is strongly linked with proficiency in English skills. The better your English, the better your chances of admission, and the more you will get out of your time in Graduate school in the USA. The programs that we offer are quite rigorous. If you do not meet these requirements, we suggest that you retake the test before applying.
I have a degree from (or am currently enrolled in) another US university. Do I still have to provide a TOEFL score?
- Yes. Regardless of previous degrees or acceptances into other Universities, you must meet our TOEFL minimum requirements.
- If you are currently enrolled in another US university AND you took the TOEFL to apply for that school, we will accept those scores, but ONLY if they meet our minimum criteria. If not, you will need to take them again.
- Your TOEFL score must also still be valid.
I took the IELTS test. Will you accept those scores as an alternative to the TOEFL?
- Yes, IELTS scores are acceptable (minimum accepted IELTS score is 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in each category).
- Other alternative tests are generally not accepted. If you have taken a different test, please contact us directly.
I have a scholarship to attend English classes in the US, but my scholarship requires admission to a graduate program. Can you offer me admission to your program conditional on my completing an English class?
- No. I am afraid that we are not able to offer "conditional admission" to any applicant.