Awards are given in the following six categories:
Commitment to Students
This award honors those who are dedicated to providing guidance and assistance to Carnegie Mellon students. They surpass the duties of their job description to meet the needs of our students. These individuals serve as role models, displaying a positive and professional image at all times.
- Goes the extra mile to satisfy student needs and expectations
- Identifies and leverages opportunities that contribute to supporting students’ academic, personal, social and cultural needs
- Contributes to student learning, demonstrating exemplary initiative in offering students a personally and/or intellectually rewarding curricular and/or extracurricular learning experience
- Supports the involvement of students in university life “beyond the classroom” such that students feel like valued members of the university community
- Creates an inclusive student environment that embraces diversity and mutual respect
- Develops innovative systems and processes that enhance the student experience in a significant way
This award honors those who tirelessly devote themselves to enhancing the living, learning and working experience of the campus community. Their service orientation benefits their colleagues and the faculty and students. On a daily basis, their roles help shape the Carnegie Mellon work and educational environment. They perform important services that may sometimes go unnoticed, but these nominees are noticed. They are known for their smiles, can-do attitudes, and exceptional service levels.
- Contributes to results-driven service to meet educational, environmental, health, economic or other pressing needs of a specific group
- Encourages participation of others in addressing identified needs in the community
- Accomplishments and contributions create networks that can be sustained
- Creates impact that strengthens communities and increases civic engagement
This award honors those who foster a welcoming, supportive and inclusive workplace. These individuals help shape the university culture in the areas of diversity, professional development and work/life balance. Their achievements and initiatives advance the university’s long-term strategic commitment to a diverse university community, which is essential to the quality, intellectual vitality, and to the continued progress of Carnegie Mellon.
- Respects and values contributions of each individual
- Actively seeks to understand and leverage different perspectives
- Leads and manages an inclusive workplace that maximizes the talents of each person to achieve sound organizational results
- Fosters an environment in which people who are culturally diverse can work together cooperatively and effectively in achieving organizational goals
- Develops and uses measures and rewards to hold self and others accountable for promoting and achieving diversity
- Effectively builds and articulates the vision and mission of a team by fostering motivation of group members and ensuring a deep level of commitment from all team members
- Inspires a sense of collaboration, cooperation, and trust to enable the team to achieve its defined goals and objectives
- Leads by example; creates a work climate that encourages open dialogue and constructive criticism
This award honors those who take great pride in their work. An unyielding commitment to quality performance allows them to unfailingly serve their customers. Nominees have a can-do attitude and consistently do whatever it takes to overcome obstacles in order to accomplish their goals.
- Consistently performs above and beyond the call of duty
- Demonstrates exceptional work product time after time
- Accomplishments exceed goals and requirements
- Takes timely and independent action to prevent problems
- Acts to align goals with the strategic direction of their area and the university
This award honors those who have developed new approaches, methods and systems to improve organizational effectiveness. They have demonstrated imagination and creativity in finding solutions to problems or fostering change that has benefited the university community. These nominees are thinkers and doers, people who have discovered new paths to excellence.
- Identifies creative solutions that make a significant and positive difference and contribute to organizational and individual objectives
- Suggests new ways to improve the quality of approaches, methods, systems and services
- Seeks out opportunities to improve, streamline and reinvent work processes
- Thinks expansively by combining ideas in unique ways or making connections between disparate ideas
- Targets important areas for innovation and develops solutions that address meaningful work issues
- Develops better, faster, more efficient or less expensive ways to do things
- Creates a work environment that helps others overcome resistance to change, and encourages creative thinking and innovation
- Adapts best practices and processes to the work unit
This award honors those who have made important contributions that benefit the entire university community. Their work has transcended organizational boundaries. They have fostered cooperation and collaboration between the university and its constituents to better serve the campus community. These individuals have committed their time and energy to working with others to improve and enhance Carnegie Mellon as a whole.
- Provides exceptional service to the university community
- Significantly improves the quality of life in the university community
- Demonstrates exceptional service of an altruistic nature for the greater good of the university (e.g. humanitarian work, fundraising activities, voluntary participation in community organizations) or by helping to position the university as a good citizen in the wider world
- Helps other members of the community with a high degree of excellence, professionalism and integrity in the performance of their work
- Serves as a role model of service to the community