Here are the key dates for the CMU-Africa admission campaign for the MSIT program:
October 1st: MSIT online application open
January 1st: Application submission deadline for Early Admission to be considered for GRE and TOEFL/IELTS test fees payment by CMU-Africa
May 1st: Application submission deadline for complete application with GRE and TOEFL/IELTS test scores
MSIT Admission Requirements
Applications are now open for MSIT. When submitting your online application, you will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Unofficial academic transcripts from previously attended universities*
- Contact information for three referees who will provide letters of recommendation
- Current CV*
- Statement of purpose*
- Copy of passport or national ID card*
In addition, for applications submitted after January 1st the following documents will be required in order to be considered:
- GRE scores transcripts*
- TOEFL or IELTS scores transcripts*
*: in PDF or JPEG format
MSIT Admission Process
The MSIT Admission process is a three step process:
Step 1: Online application and applicant’s interview
Applicant complete and submit the MSIT online application form.
Applicants who submitted a successful application form are invited to CMU-Africa for an online DUOLINGO English test and an online Technical test. Applicants residing outside Rwanda will take those tests online under video monitoring, requiring a high bandwidth Internet connection.
Upon successful completion of these tests, applicants are invited for an interview (at CMU-Africa or via Skype requiring a high bandwidth Internet connection).
Step 2: GRE and TOEFL/IELTS Tests
Applicants who successfully complete step 1 will be invited to take the GRE and TOEFL or IELTS tests.
CMU-Africa may also invite you to GRE/TOEFL preparation workshops in Kigali or Online.
Step 3: Admission decision
Admission is based upon the applicant's overall academic and research backgrounds, GRE and TOEFL scores, academic transcripts, statement of purpose, interviews results, professional experience, and recommendation letters and not upon financial need. When admitted, an official admission letter is emailed to the applicant. All admitted applicants are automatically considered for financial aid.
Under the Early Admission plan, students can apply to the MSIT early before January 1st and get a decision early. Students who apply under this plan have a better chance of getting in the MSIT program than they would through the regular admission process. Those students, if they successfully complete step 1, will be able to take the GRE and TOEFL or IELTS tests at the test center of their choice.
Payment of GRE and TOEFL or IELTS test fees
Applicants who submit their application before January 1st and who successfully complete Step 1 will get support from CMU-Africa to enroll for those tests and CMU-Africa will pay the fees for the tests.
After January 1st, only applications with GRE and TOEFL or IELTS test scores and submitted before May 1st will be considered if more seats are available in the MSIT program. The applicants will be responsible for the payment of those test fees.
MSIT at CMU-Africa Program Information
Applications are now open for MSIT. Applying to the CMU-Africa location has the following benefits:
- Tuition Costs. CMUs Master’s degree program tuition in the College of Engineering is $45,000 per year. However, through a combined financial aid package from CMU and the GoR, the cost to the students at CMU-R is $16,000.
- Scholarships. Successful applicants from the East African Community (EAC) can benefit from a 50% scholarship offered by the Government of Rwanda, making the cost of the program $8,000 per year. Other scholarships are available to students outside EAC.
- Test Fee Assistance. MS ECE applications received before January 1st may qualify for assistance with their test fees from CMU-Africa. The deadline for completed applications (with test scores) is May 1st.
If you have any questions about the application process, please send an email to the CMU-Africa admissions office.
MSIT applicants can prepare for the online DUOLINGO test by registering at https://testcenter.duolingo.com/. After registration they can practice trial tests online.